We live in a world where viruses are very difficult to avoid. People cannot spend their entire lives locked behind doors, afraid to go out into the world. While locking ourselves away works for a short period of time, our lives must be lived.
This article is going to cover some common threats to your body’s immunity, as well as give you some tips on how to build up your immune system so that it is prepared to tackle modern-day viruses.
Threats to Your Immune System
When your immune system is threatened, your body is less able to tackle common illnesses and ailments. There are a multitude of factors that could compromise your immune system:
- Inflammation: When you have chronic inflammation, your body’s inflammatory response can eventually start damaging healthy cells, tissues, and organs, which inevitably makes your system more susceptible to invasion by foreign entities like viruses.
- Changes in Weather: Seasonal changes not only bring allergies but may also have an impact on your immune system.
- Age: As we get older, we deal with more and more chronic medical problems, such as inflammation, which impacts our body’s ability to bounce back and function optimally.
- Medications: Pay attention to the possible side effects of any medications you are taking. Some drugs can inhibit your immune system’s ability to do its job.
- Smoking: Not only does smoking impact your lungs, it also suppresses your immune system.
- Existing Medical Conditions: Auto-immune conditions are obvious enemies of your immune system, and other conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, or asthma, can also increase your risk of falling ill.
- Nutrition: What we eat and drink has an impact on how likely we are to catch a virus or get sick. Sugar can actually hold your immune system back and keep it from attacking bacteria and functionally properly.
- Pregnancy: The changes a women’s body goes through to give birth make it more susceptible and puts them at higher risk.
- Confined Spaces: Being stuck indoors just gives viruses a better opportunity to spread. The Spanish Flu Outbreak of 1918 taught us that exposure to fresh air and sunlight had a positive impact on the recovery of the sick.
These are just some of the situations in which someone’s immune system can become compromised and not perform at optimal levels.
Protecting Yourself from Viruses
Your immune system is your #1 defense system when it comes to protecting yourself from bacterial and viral infections.
To protect yourself (and boost your immune system) there are some common-sense things you can do right away, from the comfort of your home:
- Eat healthy foods and avoid sugar;
- Get plenty of rest;
- Exercise and find ways to stay active;
- Spend time outside each day;
- Reduce stress;
- Wash your hands responsibly and frequently
Are You Doing All You Can to Boost Your Immunity?
Unfortunately, even the most well-intentioned individual may find a daily routine of good habits to not be enough.
There are many avenues you can take to reduce your cellular inflammation and boost your immune system using vitamins, supplements, essential oils, and healthy foods. Here are some recommendations from Neuro Biologix for things you can take to help you prevent catching a modern day virus:
- Vitamin C – This vitamin is an effective and powerful antioxidant. A daily dose of Vitamin C has been proven to reduce flu and cold symptoms by 85%.
- Vitamin D3 – This vitamin cuts flu risk by 42%.
- Glutathione – Considered one of the most powerful antioxidants available, it can protect cells from the flu virus.
- Licorice Root – This root creates T cells which protect you against infection. It’s not safe to ingest long term but comes in handy for when you get sick. Many licorice root extracts remove the active ingredient that provides the most benefit so find the real stuff and use only when you start feeling sick.
- Elderberries – It’s the phenols in elderberries that benefit the immune system and also help with inflammation.
It’s a lot of information, we know. If you’d like to book a free consultation session to discuss your options and reach your fullest Healing Potential, contact us here.